How to Cook Gozleme
Dalgano - Turkish Food | Savory Turkish flatbreads filled with juicy filling! Choose ONE Filling - Spinach and Feta, or Lamb OR Beef marinated with spinach and peppers. Can stretch up to 5 gozlem. Works with GLUTEN FREE flour!
You May Like: How to Make Dalgona or Dalgano Recipes
- 2.5 cups (375g) plain/all-purpose flour (GF Note 4)
- 1/3 cup (85ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup (185ml) water
- 1/2 tsp salt
SELECT ONE FILL (NOTE 1)
SPINNING & FETA:
- 300g/10oz baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 300g / 10 oz Danish feta (soft feta, Note 2)
- 2 cups (200g) grated mozzarella cheese (Note 3)
Seasoned Lamb OR BEEF:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500g/1 lb minced beef or lamb (ground)
- 1 capsicum/paprika, chopped
- 90g/3oz baby spinach
- 1.5 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust the spiciness to taste)
- 3/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp water
- 120g / 4 oz Danish feta (Note 2)
COOKING / SERVING:
- 1-1.5 tbsp olive oil, per gozleme
- Lemon wedges (optional)
How to Make Gozleme:
To Make Cake:
- Install the stand mixer with the dough hook. Combine flour, oil, salt, and water in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mixer for 2.5 minutes on medium speed 7 until smooth (watch the video before and after). (Note 4) The dough must be in the form of a ball that is flexible, soft, and not sticky.
- Cover and rest for 20 minutes.
- Dust the work surface with flour. Cut the dough into 4 sides.
- Roll into a 35cm/14" x 20cm/8" rectangle.
- Make Lamb/Beef Stuffing, or Spinach and Feta (or make 1/2 the 2nd batch!).
CONTENTS OF LAMB OR BEEF:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Cook the garlic and onions for 1 minute. Add capsicum, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add beef and cook until it is slightly pinkish-brown, breaking down as you go.
- Add cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper (if using), salt, pepper, and water. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add spinach, and stir until wilted.
- Cool before use.
CONTENTS OF SPINNING FETA:
- Place spinach, garlic, eggs, and pepper in a bowl. Squeeze by hand to reduce volume and make the spinach "floppy".
- Add feta and stir.
- Give Filling on 1/2 side of the pastry, push to the side. Sprinkle Lamb / Beef Filling with crumbled feta. Sprinkle Spinach Feta with mozzarella cheese, if using.
- Fold another part of the pastry to cover the filling. Push down, squeeze out any excess air pockets trapped while you're away. Use water if necessary to seal properly.
- Sprinkle flour on around (or similar) the pizza pan. Slide the gozleme onto the paddle.
- Heat 1.5 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. (I generally get 2 pans)
- Slide the gozleme into the pan. Cook, pressing lightly (counting the edges), until golden and savory - about 3 minutes. Turn and cook, pressing a little, until savory.